Aims & Objectives
The immediate goals of this project are to:
- translate the GNOME and KDE Linux Desktop environments into Igbo;
- translate Mozilla and Open Office software into Igbo;
- develop keyboard-mapping software that supports the Igbo character set;
- implement Igbo character font support for the X11 platform.
As a by-product of our work, we will also:
- create a dictionary of computer/IT terminology in Igbo that will be accessible to the public over the Internet;
- develop/implement software to manage the translation process using web-based tools to provide a simple, widely available solution for non-technical translators;
- develop a website to serve as a point of reference for translating Linux open source software into the Igbo language and host future efforts to translate other components of the Linux operating system into Igbo.